car won't start/timing questions

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: car won't start/timing questions
From: TRIFARI@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 19:35:08 -0500

I have a timing problem.  My BN1Healey was pre-igniting so I decided to
retard the ignition by loosening the distributor stay bolt and turning the
distributor while car was running.  I discovered that the stay bolt was
stripped and had to be replaced.  To do so required removal of distributor.

        Attempts to re-time the car have been futile and car will not start.
Every
so often, after about 10 seconds of cranking it will backfire.

        I have brought the timing mark around and set it approximately 1/2”
BTDC on
compression stroke.  I have determined compression by watching valves (intake
opens/closes) and by using my finger on #1 spark plug hole.  I have marked
the distributor case where number 1 firing position is, and have attempted to
replace the distributor so that the rotor points to this mark.

        I am using a test light to see where the points open on the leading
edge of
the cam (ie turning distributor counter clockwise).  However, In what would
appear to be the normal position for the rotor (vacumm advance unto pointing
to 7:30),  the points cam sits on the flat of the distributor camshaft,
necessitating the movement of the distributor to eitehr a nine -o’clock
position where the vacuum advance line fouls the coil, or a six o’clock
position where the vacuum advance unit is almost straight up and down.

        By carefully inserting the distributor, I have been able to get the
rotor
arm to come close to the #1 firing position in the cap and have the points
start to open.  No matter, the car will not start in any distributor
position.

        I have spark at the coil and spark at all four plugs.  I have cleaned
the
contacts in the cap and installed a set of new points and a new condenser.
 Points are gapped at 0.015 inches plugs at 0.125 inches.  I have spark at
the coil, spark at each of the four plugs, and the plugs are wet.  I have
timed the car before with no problems, but I feel I’m doing something wrong
here.  Any thoughts, solutions, comments or house calls would be appreciated.

        John Trifari--1955 Healey BN1