Re: Wrinkle Finish Paint

To: Paul <schwerdt@isns1.shasta.com>
Subject: Re: Wrinkle Finish Paint
From: "U. Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 09:15:16 -0800 (PST)
On Tue, 2 Apr 1996, Paul wrote:

> Now that I have my dash off, (thanks for all the help) now I need to paint it.
> I have read that wrinkle finish black is the proper paint to use.  I need some
> tips though about how to go about getting the best results with this stuff.  I
> tested it on a few random items and wasn't really happy with the results.  I
> want to make sure this looks good.  Any help is greatly appreciated.
>Thanks...

Ha, this is a true b$tch!
The paint won't wrinkle if it is put on too thick OR too thin. You have
to heat the dash to get it to wrinkle (heat lamps?), it is VERY hard to
get an even finish.

I tried it three times. I was working in Arizona summer sun, so heating
shouldn't have been a problem. I used a wire brush wheel on a grinder to
completely strip the old paint off. I always ended up with a real patchy
job, certain spots just stayed glossy and didn't wrinkle.

Then when I had my dash out again, I had a LBC resto shop try it. They had
just done it on another car, and it didn't look too bad. When I got it
back ($140), it looked almost as bad as before. I didn't accept it and
they redid it by taping off the left half which had turned out OK, and
painting the right half separately. It now looks good.

Now I think if I wasn't a stickler for originality, I would have the dash
painted together with the car (not wrinkly). It would look real sharp in a
strong blue. If the shift lever cover (Spridget) was also body color, it
would look really good, though not original.

If you do your dash, plan to do it several times, and find a sympathetic
pizza chef who lets you use his oven...

Ulix who got wrinkles from this job

                    '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy