Re: It doesn't even sputter...

To: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Subject: Re: It doesn't even sputter...
From: "U. Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 09:19:33 -0800 (PST)
On Tue, 2 Apr 1996, W. R. Gibbons wrote:
> If you do get a spark that way, I would bet either your points are not
> opening, your condensor is shot, or there's a permanent short to ground,
> or a permanently open circuit (for example, oxidized points) in the circuit
> that goes through the distributor, the points, and to ground.

It is very easy to install a new set of points wrong so that they are
shortet to ground. On my first LBC, a 74 Midget, I had lost the little
plastic washer that goes under the points spring to insulate it. I cut one
from gasket material (I was 18), which was cut through by the spring upon
tightening. I couldn't get the car running for weeks (or months?) until a
friend with a some understanding and a multimeter came by...

Ulix (not 18 anymore :) or :(  ???)

                    '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy