odd b queestions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: odd b queestions
From: Wyngaarden@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 01:13:25 -0500

    HI ALL

     I am used to early model B's and A's but the woman and I just bought a
1980 B that we couldn't turn down. I miss the SU's but the dang thing seems
so modern,
     My two question about the late model vehicle are:
                         1. This Overdrive unit (LH) has something called a
Overdrive                                             micro switch. It is
listed as being on post 1977 cars. This
                              is not the 4th gear limit switch but something
else. Any ideas?
                              I love Lucas and I have a thirst for any
knowledge on the strange
                              intricies of British Wiring.
                         2. The next is about LE wheels. This 1980 which is
not a LE edition                              has LE wheels. I know these
were available in 1980 only but did                               they only
come on LE's or were they on all 1980's or just an
                              option?

My Lucas story for this car (all of my MG's have one) is this. Shortly after
I bought the car I was sitting in the car, I pulled up the Emerg Brake and
the engine began to start (luckily it was not in gear). I pushed the lever
back down and the starter motor stopped.
I was so thrilled I had a Lucas problem to solve. I pulled out my schematic
and found that the only way this could have happened is that the diode for
the brake light switch on the dash had temporarily shorted and 12v was going
thru the emerg brake limit switch and to the starter selenoid. (key was in
the run position) Has anyone ever experienced this?

Thanks for the help.
                                                   Dave Wyngaarden
                                                   Evansville, IN

                                                    1958 MGA (mine)