Re: Comment/Question Re: Floor rust - B

To: Milo Kral <kral@anvil.nrl.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: Comment/Question Re: Floor rust - B
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 1996 09:39:43 -0600
Milo Kral wrote:

> Now for the questions:
> Next,  I will put down some insulating (heat and noise) layer that I have not
> decided upoN,  yet.  Any suggestions?  Any feedback about prior use of POR-15?
>
> Milo Kral                  email: kral@anvil.nrl.navy.mil
> Code 6324                  phone: (202) 767-2622
> Naval Research Lab

Milo -

        I followed an article that I read in British Cars about a year ago.
Went to a carpet
shop and purchased some foam padding material that goes under your home
carpeting.  There are
several grades; some look like bits of different colored foam sponges torn up
and pressed
together.  The hi-quality stuff I bought is blue foam with a yellow foam layer
in a hexagonal
pattern on one side.  This is the side that glues to the floor of your house.
It is about
one-half inch (1.27 cm :-) ) thick.  It would be really expensive to do your
full house in
this stuff, but a piece big enough to do the entire interior of my '79B only
cost about $25.  I
laid it out on the floor, placed the carpet over it, marked it with a felt tip
pen, and cut it
out with scissors.  I made it about an inch smaller on all sides than the
corresponding carpet
piece.  This was contact cemented to the car, and the carped was applied over
it with more
contact cement.  Makes the carped feel really plush, should do a lot to deaden
sounds.  The foam
quality should do a lot of heat insulation.  I say should, as sadly, I still am
under renovation
on the B and haven't driven it since the carpeting installation to check it out
 ;-( .  Just my
way of trying it...If you are interested the article was in the October, 1994
issue of British
Car, page 25, "TR6 Budget Restoration".

Wayne M. Kube
Plano, TX