Re: Rover V8 conversion MGB Rdster

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rover V8 conversion MGB Rdster
From: gmccann@pcug.org.au (Graham McCann)
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 21:25:59 +1000 (EST)

>>>I have a friend who will shortly replace the engine in his 77b roadster
with a
>>>Rover V8. Anyone have any information or experience to share?
>
>Just out of curiosity, could someone post the stats on the
>famous Rover V8 engine?

Prior to the recent increase from 3.5 litre to various higher capacities
there were 3 versions used.  The first was the carburetted version used in
the factory MGB GT V8.  The second was the initially carburetted, then fuel
injected engine used in the Rover SD1.  The third was the initially
carburetted then fuel injected engine used in the Range Rover.

I do not have all the performance figures handy but the engine fitted in the
MGB had a power of 137 bhp at 5000 rpm. I have a fuel injected 1986 Range
Rover engine fitted to an MGB roadster and also a factory GTV8. The later
engine seems to give out about half as much power again even though it has
the same capacity and compression ratio (8.25:1).  Unfortunately the
documentation I have on the Range Rover engine does not list power output.
I do know that a new head went on the Rover V8s in 1985 and this, plus the
fuel injection may explain it.  I do plan to get the roadster dyno tuned
shortly so that will give me an idea of its power at the wheels.

The Rover SD1 V8s had a compression ratio of over 9:1 so should have had
more power.  I am not sure what the US market received but both a low
(8.5:1) and a high (9:1) compression carburetted engines were provided to at
least the Australian market when fitted to the previous Rover - the P6.

If you have any specific requests for more information I will try and oblige.

regards
Graham McCann  Rivett, ACT. Australia
gmccann@pcug.org.au
06 2889055