Re: British racing green

To: Tom Britt <rasputin@gate.net>
Subject: Re: British racing green
From: Don Mathis <tdm@smtp-gw.ak.att.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 1996 14:59:17 -0400
At 12:54 PM 4/9/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Can anyone tell me where the term "British Racing Green" comes from.  To my
knowledge green was never a racing colour, was it?  The early racing T's
were called "cream crackers," and I thought the later teams were white. My
TD is what is called British racing green, but that's a misnomer, isn't it?
Tom Britt

I have a book about the Bentley Heritage covering the years of 1921-1931. It
shows some of the blower Bentleys used in Gran Prix races.  They are a
beautiful dark forrest green.  Some of the cars are darker than others and I
don't think that it is necessarily a printing error in the book.  I have
been told that the Bentleys won many, if not the majority, of the Gran Prix
races during this period.  They were usually painted, "British racing
green". The Germans used white or silver, the French used blue, and the
Italians used red.  There were also various combinations of racing stripes
and colors that were used by other countries.  I looked at a paint sample
card recently  by Dupont and they list a British racing green.  I think that
it is too blue.  The actual British racing green does not seem to be
documented well and many colors have been called BRG.  I have decided to
paint my Bentley BRG with tan interior.  I plan to use a non-metallic dark
green.  I heard it described as black emerald.

Don Mathis,Ph.D.
Member of Technical Staff
LUCENT TECHNOLOGIES
        Bell Labs Innovations