Re: British racing green

To: tdm@smtp-gw.ak.att.com
Subject: Re: British racing green
From: Mike Lambdin <E720LAM@TOE.TOWSON.EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 09:49:43 -0500 (EST)
>I have a book about the Bentley Heritage covering the years of 1921-1931. It
>shows some of the blower Bentleys used in Gran Prix races.  They are a
>beautiful dark forrest green.  Some of the cars are darker than others and I
>don't think that it is necessarily a printing error in the book.  I have

 snip..................

>card recently  by Dupont and they list a British racing green.  I think that
>it is too blue.  The actual British racing green does not seem to be
>documented well and many colors have been called BRG.  I have decided to
>paint my Bentley BRG with tan interior.  I plan to use a non-metallic dark
>green.  I heard it described as black emerald.
>
>Don Mathis,Ph.D.
>Member of Technical Staff
>LUCENT TECHNOLOGIES
>        Bell Labs Innovations
>Norcross, Georgia
>
>'61 MGA     '37 Bentley

In my readings I recall an explanation for the variations in B.R.G.

As the story goes: the Brits were to use green to designate that the
auto was British (as Don, above, pointed out, and I neglected to leave
in). Depending on the make of car (i.e. Bentley, Jaguar, MG etc) and who
mixed the paint and who sprayed the car and was it a Monday, Wednsday or
Friday, all determined what shade of green resulted. The same applied to
the British formula racing machines. Coopers, BRMs, etc., all seemed to
vary slightly in their shade of green.

Mike Lambdin