Noisy Mark I gearbox??

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Noisy Mark I gearbox??
From: "A.Rayner" <jblanchf@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 1996 14:43:21 -0400
My 1965 Mark I MGB (3 synchro, no overdrive) has got an incredibly noisy
first gear!!  The box has just undergone a full reconditioning and apart
from that noise it's pretty good.  We replaced a stack of stuff but
failed to eradicate the noise...the layshaft has been replaced, all(?)
bearings and seals have been replaced.  We had a pretty good look at most
of the gearwheels and all but the cluster gear seemed pretty much
perfect.  The cluster gear has got a chipped teeth from where the DPO
(Dreaded Previous Owner) has tried to put it into first gear without
stopping or double clutching.  I know that the first gear is a 'straight
cut gear' and should make a bit of a whine but the noise my car makes is
extremely loud..several people how have 3-synchro MGBs have commented
that it is not normal!!  So, what's the problem?...is it the cluster gear
or has the DPO replaced 1st gear with a new gear (or a incorrectly
pitched gear) which isn't quite meshing properly and causing the noise?
The last thing I want to do is pull the box apart, replace a part and put
it back together again only to find that I still have the noise so your
help would be greatly apreciated!!  Also, many thanks to everyone for
their helpful comments about the fitting of a overdrive to my unit...I no
am looking for a full transmission, with overdrive rather than mucking
around trying to 'convert' my transmission to suit!
Thanks in advance!
Tony Rayner
If you need to email directly then use  charayne@dingo.uq.oz.au (not my
friends' email listed above in the sender address!)