Re: Positive Ground MG and jump starting

To: jurrasm@genesis.torrco.com, BritCarMag@aol.com
Subject: Re: Positive Ground MG and jump starting
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrco.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 08:27:00 -0400
> From BritCarMag@aol.com Tue Apr 23 19:01 EDT 1996
>
> RTFM is part of an old pilot's phrase: "When everything else you've tried has
> failed to work, R(ead) T(he) F--ing M(anual)"
> I think we can pretty well answer the positive-positive and
> negative-negative. Check me here: In the positive positive, the order is pos
> (car giving help) to pos, neg to ground point (on car needing help).  On
> positive ground car, you reverse that (neg term on car giving help to neg
> term on car getting help, pos term on car giving help to ground point on car
> getting help).
> Now what about the pos earth to neg earth situations and etec.
> Gary Anderson

OK I looked at the instructions so I would get this right.

The good battery gets the connections at the terminals. The dead
battery gets the EARTH connection to the engine block or such. So....

...for Positive earth car dead Negative earth car good:

DO NOT LET THE CARS TOUCH and DO NOT touch both cars at the same time.

1) Connect the Negative Jumper to the good battery negative then to the
dead battery Negative terminal.

2) Connect the Positive Jumper to the good battery positive terminal
and to the dead battery cars engine block or such.

...for Negative earth car dead Positive earth car good:

DO NOT LET THE CARS TOUCH and DO NOT touch both cars at the same time.

1) Connect the Positive Jumper to the good battery positive terminal
then the dead battery positive terminal.

2) Connect the Negative Jumper to the good battery negative terminal
then to the dead battery cars engine block or such.

...Reverse the order to disconnect and BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO LET ANY
OF THE CONNECTIONS TOUCH THE METAL PARTS OF THE CARS WHILE YOU ARE
HOOKING THEM UP.

SHIELD YOURSELF FROM THE BATTERIES WHEN CRANKING THE ENGINES.

ALWAYS WHERE SAFETY GOGGLES OR SUCH TO PROTECT YOUR EYES FROM ACID IN
THE EVENT OF AN EXPLOSION.

When jumping a car for someone I always ask if the left the lights on and ran
the battery down or is the battery no good. If it is no good I won't jump
because if there is an internal short it could blow the diodes in my
alternator. If the lights ran the battery down I hook up and let my car charge
there battery, on high idle for about 10 minutes before they crank. This is
usually suffcient to get them started even with wimpy jumper cables.

- -Mark "Why is the insulation melting" Jurras   = =o&o