Re: Positive Ground MG and jump starting

To: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>, BritCarMag@aol.com,
Subject: Re: Positive Ground MG and jump starting
From: "W. B. Olson" <WBOLSON@cherokee.astate.edu>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1996 10:27:03 CST
Buried in the original post was the advice to ignore the polarity and
just follow the rule of thumb that you should always hook hot to hot
and ground to ground.  When going from a + groung vehicle to a -
ground vehicle, you're just asking for disaster if you follow that
advice!!  Serious sparks from that operation.  Nuff said.

> Date sent:      Sat, 13 Apr 1996 17:32:03 -0400 (EDT)
> From:           "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
> To:             "W. B. Olson" <WBOLSON@cherokee.astate.edu>
> Copies to:      BritCarMag@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
> Subject:        Re: Positive Ground MG and jump starting

> On Fri, 12 Apr 1996, W. B. Olson wrote:
>
> > Your first comment is exceptionally correct.
> >
> > Good hearted though you probably are, please refrain from giving
> > advice with regard to electricals.  Following your below included
> > advice could result in a nasty explosion to say nothing of the loss
> > of all your smoke!!!
>
> I think you're mistaken.  I see nothing wrong with the advice that
> BritCarMag gave.
>
>    Ray Gibbons  Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
>                 Univ. of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT
>                 gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910

Bill Olson
Arkansas State University

67 mineral blue MGBGT  (saphire)  searching for an overdrive
68 red MGB Roadster  (ruby)  (sold)
72 mallard green MGB Roadster w/overdrive  (emerald (emmy))
95 plumb mist Ford Crown Victoria w/engine and suspension package -
   my winston cup car (winny)
92 dirty Nissan Stanza (wife's car (no name)) but a great woman
   who owned and drove a new MGA (with no name) when she was in
   college several (yeh, several for sure) years ago