Re: starter problems-65 Midget Mk1/1275

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: starter problems-65 Midget Mk1/1275
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 11:07:40 -500
Glen Eldridge writes:

> My Midget Mk1(65) has gone through two
> starters in the last week, both burnt out within a day after three or
> four starts.

Burnt out? Really? You mean if you try to run it out of the car, direct from a
battery, (with jumper cables) it won't work? If so, you may have burned it
out.
        -Over voltage, from a bad regulator or intermittant regulator
connections
or      -constant running, due to shorted start switch or wires

are about the only way this could happen.

> When I try to short the starter relay terminals, I get no spark at all.

Do you have clean power *AND* grounds?

        -2 connections at the battery
        -1 ground connection from the battery
        -Pos. to the starter switch
        -ground cable from engine to body

Loose or corroded connectors, or dirty/poor connections at any of the above
can cause such problems.

> - are starters polarity-sensitive,

No, just the generator is- and if it's charging, it's ok.

   ________
  /___  _  \    Roger Garnett            (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \   Agricultural Economics  | The Wayward Sports Car Centre
| |___||  _  |  3 Warren Hall           | http://www.wayward.team.net/
| | \  |   | |  Cornell University      |
 \|  \ |__/ /   Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801 | (607) 533-7735
  \________/    (607) 255-2522          | Safety Fast!