starter problems-65 Midget Mk1/1275

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: starter problems-65 Midget Mk1/1275
From: Glen Eldridge <glenel@infobahnos.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 1996 22:26:11 -0400
Can anyone help me here?  My Midget Mk1(65) has gone through two
starters in the last week, both burnt out within a day after three or
four starts.  The battery is a new 850-amp, the generator puts out 14
volts at 2000 rpm and the battery remains fully charged even after 7
hours running with the headlights on.  When I try to short the starter
relay terminals, I get no spark at all.  I have a positive-ground system
- are starters polarity-sensitive, i.e., could I have installed two in a
row with wrong polarity?  The car runs perfectly otherwise and exhibits
no other problems or quirly characteristics.

Glen Eldridge

glenel@infobahnos.com

'65 Midget Mk1/1275
'95 Nissan Maxima