Reply to Todd Mullens re: SU carb woes & engine rebuild

To: mgs@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Reply to Todd Mullens re: SU carb woes & engine rebuild
From: "Allen W." <AJWILLIA@UA1VM.UA.EDU>
Date: Thu, 02 May 96 16:29:16 CDT
Thanks for carb advice. Will check throttle shafts again. Have the throttle
shafts w/poppet valves. Will check there also. Re: engine rebuild, I bought
a kit from Brit-Tech in New Hampshire(they advertise in Hemmmings). Got the
high compression pistons,Piper BP270 cam w/double springs, double row timing
gears & chain. Kit also contained the oil pump, gaskets & most everything you
would ever need. Used the 18V rods w/press fit gudgeons. Old head cracked so
I used one from a 69B(would rather have the later model "big valve")- put in
new seats, valves, guides for no-lead fuel. Also installed new Borg& Beck
clutch assembly, headers & Monza exhaust. I am very pleased w/its performance.
Seems somewhat better than a 68B I used to own & is a quantum leap ahead of its
old low compression self w/o drivability problems(except for the SU's).

Forgot to mention the car has a new SU fuel pump.