Re: TD choke mechanism

To: Rob van Ingen <ingenr@pi.net>
Subject: Re: TD choke mechanism
From: 1955tf@flash.net
Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 06:42:09 -0500
At 09:48 PM 5/2/96 PDT, you wrote:

>-------------------------------------
>Name: Rob van Ingen
>E-mail: ingenr@pop.pi.net (Rob van Ingen)
>Date: 04/29/96
>Time: 20:32:03
>
>This message was sent by Chameleon
>-------------------------------------
>After pushing back the choke knob of my MG-TD, the jets don't return to
their original position.
>The choke mechanism, return springs and cable are O.K., so the problem must
be in the
>carburettors.
>Does anyone have a clue?
>
>Rob van Ingen
>E-mail: ingenr@pop.pi.net

Rob -

Are your carbs recently rebuilt?  If so, the problem may be that the small
o-rings that seal the jets inside the carbs are not letting the jets return
to their full-up position.  The rebuild kits used to have cork seals, but
lately have included rubber seals in their place.  It also seems that the
new "re-formulated" gasolines (which I believe contain some alcohol) can
have a negative reaction to the seals and make them very gummy.

It sounds like tear-down time to me.

Good Luck,

Tim in Dallas           '71 B (daily driver)    '55 TF (Pride & Joy)