RE: TD choke mechanism

To: ingenr@pi.net, mgs@autox.team.net, engle@mailer.martech.fsu.edu
Subject: RE: TD choke mechanism
From: "Blair Engle" <engle@mailer.martech.fsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 07:53:11 -0500 (EST)
> After pushing back the choke knob of my MG-TD, the jets don't return to
> their original position. The choke mechanism, return springs and cable
> are O.K., so the problem must be in the  carburettors.
> Does anyone have a clue?
>
> Rob van Ingen
> E-mail: ingenr@pop.pi.net

There are several possibilities.  Have the carbs been recently rebuilt?  The
cork jet seals should be soaked in oil or ATF to soften them up.  If the top
jet bearing is worn the jet will jam.
I rebuild a lot of SUs for T types and one has to be very selective with jet
seals and jet bearings.
Disconnect the jet lever and see if the jet moves up and down freely.  If it
does, you could take a couple of coils out of the return spring to make it
stronger.
Good luck!
Blair Engle                                  engle@phy.fsu.edu