The new MG's (LONG RANT!) (revisited)

To: mgs@autox.team.NET
Subject: The new MG's (LONG RANT!) (revisited)
From: "A.D.Smith" <A.D.Smith@boris.umds.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 16:07:43 +0100
>>>From todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil Fri May  3 15:47 BST 1996

>>>For those of you with your heads in the sand, listen up:  Cars are for
>>>driving; for taking you places so you can do the things that make your
>>>life worthwhile.

How's about cars are for enjoying ?  I thought that was the idea.
If I wanted a car simply to get me to places to do things - I'd buy a FORD.

>>>more reliable,
Until they break, then you can just chuck them away because no-one has the
computer to fix the engine management system or the money to refit a catalitic
converter.

>>> sturdier
You mean they surround you in plastic and airbags to you feel safer, and drive
faster, thereby having bigger accidents.

>>> more comfortable,
Wrong again. No modern car I've tried has ever come close to being as comfy as
my midget. Modern cars have "ergonomic" seats - designed for a standard man, who
doesn't actually exist in the real world.

>>> faster
Maybe

>>> quieter
I don't want quieter. I want a proper engine note that makes me know I'm driving
an MG.

>>> cleaner,
Cleaner in what sense ?  If you mean that they use unleaded petrol, then I find
it
strange that you class them as cleaner given all the aromatics stuffed into
unleaded
to make engines work.

>>>generally more efficient in every category than the cars of yesteryear.
Efficiency. Hmm, there's an interesting concept. Germans make efficient things,
Swiss make efficient things. British people (used to) make beautiful things that
were a joy to use and look at.  If you want efficiency, get a FORD. They do more
MPG than any MG, either real or pretend.

>>> Granted, a lot of modern cars look generic and sterile (Lexus LS400)
and the MGF, the FORD Mondeo, any Nissan, the Miata ......

>>>Electronics DON'T die in "a few years".  Today's automotive computers are,
>>> on the whole, absolutely bulletproof.
Sounds remarkably confident given that these things have been around only for
a matter of a couple of decades. Just wait 50 years and see how many MGFs are
around then. I'll bet there'll be more Midgets around than Fs. Nay, more T types
even (getting on for 100 years old then).

>>>You truly don't know much about the MGF, do you?  The F is a 100%
>>>beer-drinking, hairy-chested, swearing-at-the-dinner-table BRITISH
>>>design.
This coming from an American   :-)

>>> The fact that BMW bought Rover just before the MGF's
>>>introduction doesn't change this.  In fact, all of the press propaganda
>>>indicates that BMW's intention is to preserve the British-ness of Rover
>>>as much as possible.

Just as long as it's a nice Germanic efficient aerodynamic Britishness though !

Oh, and I'd still spend my money on a nice MG, not an F.

Andy

Andy Castellano Smith.          | email: a.d.smith@umds.ac.uk
Image Processing Group.         | http://www-ipg.umds.ac.uk/~as/
Cunliffe Labs, New Guy's House. | tel. : 0171 955 4208
Guy's Hospital, London SE1 9RT. | fax. : 0171 955 4913

       1977 Chrome Bumper Midget "Mungo" for short.
DPO of 1975 Rubber Bumper Midget "Mary"  for short.