Re: MG specifications

To: Todd Mullins <todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: MG specifications
From: "U. Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 07:52:05 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 6 May 1996, Todd Mullins wrote:
> Does anybody have/Has anybody seen horsepower and torque curves for the
> original (i.e., nonsmog) version of the MGB's 18G B-series engine?  All
> I've been able to uncover is the figure "95 hp", or some such.  Far more
> important than the nominal rating is the _distribution_ of torque over
> the rpm range.  Driving impressions tell me that most of the torque is
> available down low, but I'd love to see a graph.

Road and Track June 1970 compares MGB, Fiat 124 Spider, 914, TR6.
They only say 92Bhp@5400, and 110ftlb@3000.
Sorry, no curve.
Test ranks (points, lowest is best):
Fiat    139
914     207
TR6     213
MGB     279

Hahaha, when I first read this, this was fine with me as I was heavily
into Fiats at the time.
The 914 at the time was brand new and not sorted out yet, or it would have
won.

                    '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy

           "My philosophy is to fit the best tyres available, not to
            cover up braking performance with ABS," he explains. And
            airbags? "They're a marketing exercise. They were
            introduced because the Americans weren't prepared to
            legislate for the compulsory wearing of seat belts.
            And I hate gimmicks."

                                Peter Wheeler, owner and director of TVR