Re: Midget shifter problem

To: Michael Chaffee <mchaffee@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Re: Midget shifter problem
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 13:18:50 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 7 May 1996, Michael Chaffee wrote:

> I have a problem with the shifter on my '74 Midget.  It shifts just fine
> when the transmission is cold, but once it warms up, things get a little
> strange.  Shifting between neutral, 1st, and 2nd is just fine, as is

etc.

I think your trans is like mine--a ribcase.  It has a steel shaft that
rides in a hole in the aluminum housing, which conveys the shifter motion
forward.  On my car, this shaft had gotten rusty during years out in the
open somewhere.  Shifting was hellish until the shaft was removed and
cleaned.  Don't know why one might start out fine and go sticky, but that
is one place to consider.

Ray

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910