Spridget shifter rattle (ribcase)

To: bc <british-cars@autox.team.net>, MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spridget shifter rattle (ribcase)
From: "U. Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 13:23:05 -0700 (PDT)
I had asked the following questions:

My ribcase shifts smoothly, the synchros are great.
When I go faster than say 55-60, it sounds like the "linkage" rattles
quite loudly. It sounds almost like the shifter itself rattles, but the
anti-rattle pieces under the shifter are new and I can change the sound of
the rattling slightly by holding or moving the shifter, but cannot
eliminate it. I think my 61 Sprite made the same noise. The noise is not
there until the trans warms up, I think.

Does anyone know what exactly is rattling?
Can I fix this w/o removing the trans?
--- snip ----

So, I just looked at the exploded trans in the Haynes manual (p.134).
If it is indeed in the remote control assembly, and not deeper down in the
tranny, it could be the shaft rattling in its bearings, the shaft in its
end connections (keyed), or it could be the nylon front selector lever
bush (#54, also in photo 9.30 on page 139. It fits into the control lever
shown in photo 9.29) being worn or desintegrated.
It is right at the point where the remote control assembly and the rear
extension box meet. Easy to get to when the trans is out.

Two problems:
1) I don't know if I am even close! So please, if you have this same
problem, tell me, so I can verify that this is in fact a typical problem.
If you know for sure what it is, a six-pack of you choice is yours.

2) I don't see a way to get to it without removing the tranny. The remote
housing is mounted to the top of the extension box with studs (these are
on the extension), so I probably can't lift the remote housing up off the
extension under the car.
The extension might come off under the car, but the control lever probably
needs to be taken out of the extension first, which can only be done after
the remote housing is off - arrrggh.
Any pointers?

Ulix going 50 on I5 with trucks and busses blasting past...
                    '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy