New steering rack - how tight ????

To: mgs@autox.team.NET
Subject: New steering rack - how tight ????
From: "A.D.Smith" <A.D.Smith@boris.umds.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 22:58:56 +0100
Having just fitted a new steering rack to my 77 midget, and carefully followed
all
the alignment procedures in the workshop manual, I find that the steering is
now very
heavy and tight. So tight that it doesn't even self-centre!

Is this normal on fitting a new rack, and will it just free up in time (if so,
how
much time ?). If not, should I talk to the reconditioners who sold me the rack,
and
maybe get some shims to reduce the pinnion preload.

I need a farirly quick answer too I`m afraid - we're due to go on a 1000 mile
trip
starting this weekend !

Help ....

ANdy

Andy Castellano Smith.          | email: a.d.smith@umds.ac.uk
Image Processing Group.         | http://www-ipg.umds.ac.uk/~as/
Cunliffe Labs, New Guy's House. | tel. : 0171 955 4208
Guy's Hospital, London SE1 9RT. | fax. : 0171 955 4913

       1977 Chrome Bumper Midget "Mungo" for short.
DPO of 1975 Rubber Bumper Midget "Mary"  for short.