Re: Distributor Mechanical Advance Springs????

To: RJDONAHU@mail.delcoelect.com
Subject: Re: Distributor Mechanical Advance Springs????
From: JRoss123@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 19:37:42 -0400
Robert J Donahue:
> Is the small spring supposed to be shorter than the
>big one, so that the small spring stretches out before the slack
>of the big one is taken up?

Yes the eye in the stronger spring should be oval and allow the shorter
spring to take up the slack

>Or does each weight operate independently
>of the other? Can the springs be swapped from side to side? I put
>new ones on and I don't know if I put them in the same position
>as the old ones

As long as the two weights are the same (I've nevere seen two different ones
in the same dist.) your ok.  I'ts best to check the curve on a distributor
machine beffore you assume every thing is right.  It is possible to do a
rough check of the curve on the car with a timing light by ploting the RPM on
your tack against the deg. crankshaft adavance.

                                   John Ross
                                       http://members.gnn.com/rossracing

                                       195? Allan Distributor machine
                                       1965 MGB
                                       1967 AH Sprite
                                       1968 MGB
                                       1973 Volvo 164E. FOR SALE
                                       1978 Ford E250 ClubWagon Van
                                       1987 Volvo 765 TGA (The wifes car)
                                       1987 Ford Ranger V6

"New car honey?  I'ts not mine I'm just storing it for doug....." ;-)