Re: Greetings and advice needed on GT purchase!

To: <mgs%autox.team.net@MVDNS1.MV.Unisys.COM>,
Subject: Re: Greetings and advice needed on GT purchase!
From: TUSLER%MP050@MPA15AB.mv.Unisys.COM
Date: 13 MAY 96 09:33
Well, rule of thumb is, figure the value of an MGB fully restored,
not concours condition, but mechanically sound, good body & paint,
clean interior, and subtract for every defect you can find.  A decent
MGB-GT should fetch $6,000- $7,000.
The rust in the rockers is worrisome.  The MG being a unibody vehicle
(monocoque, in the terminology of the day), the rockers are essential to
maintain the rigidity and the structural soundness of the car.  Looking
at the MOSS catalog, or a Haynes manual (I think it's in there), you
can see that the rockers are fairly complex inside.
 To make a long story short, opening the rockers may (probably will)
reveal more rust and damage to the interior structure, necessitating
extensive reconstruction.
  Perhaps someone on this list will give you a ballpark of the worst
case where the rockers need to be cut away over the whole length
and replaced.
  I would think that such a car would be worth about $2,000, or half the
asking price.
  How did it ever get so rusty in New Mexico?  I thought it was fairly
dry out there?

*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*A-Mail:   <TUSLER@MP050>                | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: TUSLER@MP050.MV.unisys.com    | "N/A"      '88 ISUZU Trooper*