Re: Greetings and advice needed on GT purchase!

To: "Michael J. Carter" <mcarter@internet.roadrunner.com>
Subject: Re: Greetings and advice needed on GT purchase!
From: "Jason F. Dutt" <#simjason@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 21:03:08 -0400
Michael J. Carter wrote:

> Hello to all on the MG's list. I'm afraid that I am about to join your
> ranks and would like some advice (or is it counseling?) ;^)
>
> Yesterday I drove a '67 MGB-GT that is for sale in town.  I'm no
> mechanic (yet!), but it appears to be mechanically very solid. There
> is rust through on the rockers behind the front wheels and in front of
> the rear wheels. The worst patch measures ~2"x8".  The rust doesn't
> appear to extend under the car. The floorboards are solid.
>
> The seller is the second owner and has had the car for 17 years. She
> is selling because she doesn't drive it any longer. She bought after
> it had been restored and hasn't had much work done on it. All major
> repairs has been done my a MG mechanic in Albuquerque. She has all
> records since '67.
>
> The car would come with an extra transmission /w OD (working),
> three spare wire wheels, and a box of bits and pieces she's collected
> over the years.
>
> The car was originally purchased in Colorado and has spent the last 15
> years here in Northern New Mexico.
>
> The car appears to be very stock (2 batts, positive ground). She even
> has the original brass hammer for the knock-offs.
>
> The asking price is $4000.  It seems reasonable given the extra parts.
>
> Is this a fair deal????
>
> Anticipatorially yours,
>
> mjc
>
> --
> Michael J. Carter              | Do molecular biologists wear designer
> mcarter@lanl.gov               | genes?

Hi Mike, and welcome.

I'm not much of a mechanic (yet) either, but I can tell you that rusted
(especially rotted) rockers are a
definate BAD thing.  These will need to be replaced, as the body of the car
will sag in the middle, if it
isn't already.  You can check for this by following the door seam to the body.
If it widens as you follow it
down to the sills, the car is sagging.  If this is the case, repair is VERY
expensive, and may result in
permanent body distortion.

However, if the car isn't sagging yet, and there's no other rust on the car, it
sould be a pretty good deal.

Later,

Jay