Re: Help on Various Items

To: Tom.Wagner@central.sun.com
Subject: Re: Help on Various Items
From: Ragthyme@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 12:35:47 -0400
Tom:

1) Timing first.  Then carbs, then fine-tune both.

2) The 67 should be timed static, not dynamic.  The timing marks are a real
pain to find on those B's.  If you've got a good shop manual handy (and you
should) it should tell you how to do a static timing job; fire away if you've
got questions about specifics.  Seems to me the marks are found on the bottom
of the pulley, and they should be lined up with marks on the bottom of the
timing cover.  Three marks, if I recall, on that model. Shop manual should
tell you exactly where & when; I don't own a 67 and don't remember the static
timing values offhand. (Fuzzy memory tells me 10 BTDC, but don't absolutely
count on it).  Fuzzy memory also says the three marks were 0, 10 and 15.
  Procedure essentially involves pulling the spark plugs, turn the crank by
hand to line up the marks, adjust distributor to match. Like I say, consult
your shop manual for specifics.

Just for the heckuvit, check to make sure all your plug wires are on the
correct plugs (sorry, but this is a pretty common problem -- don't mean to
insult your intelligence) and that the seal around the carburettor is good to
the manifold (gasket hasn't perished, for example) and that the manifold
bolts are nice and snug.  Also check that your points are not completely
pitted, and do you know the last time the condenser and points were replaced?
 That sort of thing will make an auto run like the divil.

Luck,

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'