RE: Reverse info

To: "Pat Welter" <pjwa@eci-esyst.com>
Subject: RE: Reverse info
From: "Ernest E. Gilbert" <barrister@lawref.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 96 09:07:16 -0700
First thought is your clutch but if it works then....

You didn't specify whether your shift lever is loose and just won't move the
selector forks, or it is stuck too.

Assuming the latter, and having recently been down to the last part in 2
trannies, there are only 2 areas it could be stuck.

If the shift lever and the shaft in the extension move freely fore and aft, and
the shaft rotates as the lever is moved sideways, with the extension removed
from the trannie (under the cover on the tunnel) there is only one possibility,
and that is inside the trannie.

Could be in the selectors just outside the rear wall of the trannie inside the
tailpiece. The selectors slip onto shafts that pass into the trannie proper and
secure with pointed bolts into dimples in the shafts. These bolts also have
locking nuts and are safety wired. Unlikely unless you have a DPO like the one
that didn't put valve seals in my '67. You should be able to see these with the
extension removed.

More likely is inside the trannie case and I would guess a broken laygear shaft
or bearing allowing the laygear to shift causing interferrance between gears
and not allowing the low reverse slider to move.

Good Luck
Ernest
barrister@lawref.com