Re: INSURANCE - now gas tanks

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: INSURANCE - now gas tanks
From: Scott Williams <saw4136@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 00:22:26 -0400
"Thomas Wannenburg"  <twannen@isnet.is.bgsm.edu> said:
>By the way I removed my fuel tank last weekend - found some pin holes, some
>flaking rust inside.  I am figuring on replacement rather than having someone
>repair it - comments?

I once drove my '70 MGB across a field (for a picnic) and about 2 hours
later found myself and a female companion hitching through Letchworth State
Park.  I patched it with a bar of soap, a patch which lasted over a year.
Before driving across country for a 2 week tour New York to Utah, I thought
I'd "permanently" patch the tank.  Bought some of the special big $$ goop,
tried to patch it, but the more I sanded to apply the patch goop, the more
pinholes I found.  Where one hole existed, plugged with soap, I now had a
large gasoline strainer.  So I pulled the tank, and learned why I wasn't
able to top off the tank.  As I've seen mentioned on the list before, the
almost flat tank top tends to collect water, and it was RIDDLED with holes
and covered with flakey rust.  I ended up buying a new tank for around $120
(6 or 7 years ago).  I never regretted it.  It just seems that once the tank
has rusted thin enough to spring a leak in one place, you never know what's
next.  Of course don't get me started on those captive nuts...
    Hey, just my opinion, YMMV, I admit I've heard good things about
internal fuel tank coatings, but have no experience with them.

Scott Williams
Brockport, NY
'64 Midget, neglected in a barn for 20 years...
'70 MGB, sold years ago, but perfect in my memory :-)