gas tanks

To: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Subject: gas tanks
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 22:22:02 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 17 May 1996, Scott Williams wrote:

> "Thomas Wannenburg"  <twannen@isnet.is.bgsm.edu> said:
> >By the way I removed my fuel tank last weekend - found some pin holes, some
> >flaking rust inside.  I am figuring on replacement rather than having someone
> >repair it - comments?

I bought a new tank for my Sprite through VB, I believe. I think it was
through a February sale and I paid about $110 for it. The plastic stopper
that closed off the sending unit hole said "Moss Europe", or something
like that, on it.
Inside the tank were small patches of rust (!) I tried to scrape some of
it off, but thought it would be allright once it was filled.
The problem that I had had before (carb float valve being stuck closed ?)
almost disappeared. Every couple of months I will experience severe power
loss until I shut it off and wait for a minute. While much better than
before, it is annoying after having bought a new tank. I now bought a $20
fuel filter from Summit that supposedly filters down to 8 (or 4?) microns.
This will hopefully cure the problem of deposits in the fuel bowl.

So what's the moral of this rambling?
It would be great if you could buy the tank from a local place so that you
can inspect it before you buy. Or just send it back it it isn't rust-free.

Ulix
                    '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy