Re: How "normal" people feel about their cars

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How "normal" people feel about their cars
From: David Councill <dcouncil@cu.comp-unltd.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 08:20:40 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 17 May 1996, Kevin Sullivan wrote:

> This isn't a rant, just rambling thoughts while driving to work.
>
> Noticing other people driving to work in their non-lbc's.  Got me to
> thinking.  Most of them look still asleep.  I'm ON!  Of course I'm
> driving an MGA instead of a Honda.  I doubt if many of these people shout
> out "YES!!!" while driving to work, simply because the sights, sounds,
> and feel of it is so ... something.  If you're feeling really superior,
> you can shout "I RULE!!!" :)  Anyway, I was thinking that most of these
> people _don't_ think about their cars, unless something breaks.  Their
> cars are appliances.  Like refrigerators.  If it stops working they call
> a repair shop.  If it's going to cost a lot to fix, they throw it away
> and buy a new one.  I'm onto something here.  They don't spend time
> cleaning, adjusting, and polishing their toasters.  Same goes for their
> cars.  (I have a beautiful collection of vintage Sunbeams, BTW, and
> several other non-Sunbeam models.)  Of course to some people their car is
> a status symbol, something to look good and make them feel important, or
> something.  They polish their cars to show off (or pay someone else to
> polish it).  Whatever.
>
> Hey, it's Friday!  Everyone have a good day at work, then get in your lbc
> and shout "YES!!!  I RULE!!!" and see if anybody looks at you funny.
> Drive, drive, drive.  Have a good weekend.
>

> Kevin Sullivan -- 1960 MGA
> Khoral Research Inc.
> Albuquerque NM USA

Its like the Chevrolet dealer told me - all the car is supposed to do is
get you from point A to point B. Worse yet, most of these newer cars
insulate you from the true driving experience. Sound insulation, power
steering, and other "enhancements" take away the true driving experience.
Then there is the mechanical experience. How do you tune these new electronic
gadgets?

I bought my last B, a 71 BGT, because I was commuting 52
miles to work each way every day. I figured if I had to drive so far
it should be
enjoyable. And it was. I still miss that cruise over hilly terrain with
some fair curves. The 45 minute drive seemed to pass all too fast, but I
did it most every day.

Now if I could only take the top off....

David Councill
dcouncil@imt.net