Changing Oil

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Changing Oil
From: enburke@usa1.com (Edward N. Burke Jr. )
Date: Sat, 18 May 1996 21:25:02 -0600
I had a pretty close call while changing my oil today.  When putting on the
new filter it did not seem to go on as well.  I might have cross the threads
somewhat, but it seemed it was the filter and not me.  I filled the car with
casrol gtx 10w30 and then started the car.  Instead of checking the seal I
started to tinker with the carbs (idle).  While looking for a small wrench I
noticed oil all over the ground.  I quickly shut the engine down.  What a
mess! I can't believe how careless I was in not checking the seal.  I
immidiately determined that it was either a defective filter or the wrong
size.  I hustled down to the parts store and they were closed.  I purchased
another filter and installed it.  I filled the car with oil again and
started it up.  No oil pressure and oil all over the ground again.  Went out
and got another filter a known number and filter that I'm familar with and
put that one on.  Again a big oil meltdown all over the drive.  I could not
believe what had happened not to mention doing this three times.  I finally
put my hand underneath the filter and there was a gap of about a 1/4 inch.
Each time I had tried to install the filter this gap was present and I
assumed the filter was screwed down all the way because it was tight.  I
figured I would have to replace the damage that was done, however I was
finally able to thread the filter on correctly.
First question. Initially the car was running for a couple of minutes before
I noticed what was happening.  I'm pretty sure that when I looked at the
temp gauge after the first time it was still normal.  However, now I'm not
to sure.
The car seems to run pretty much the same however now a little hotter since.
Has damage been done?  I had been increasing the idle and at the time.
Would that be the cause of the temp increase?  Any info. would be
appreciated. Should I be using 10w40 instead?  When I bought the oil I
started to draw a blank and couldn't remember the viscosity I had been
using.  All in all not a good day.