the top's on blues

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: the top's on blues
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 10:52:21 -0600
While you guys discuss the wonders of driving with the top down or how to
fold it, I am reminded of the days when I had my 65 B. But now I have a
71BGT. Great in the winters, it sits idle part of the summer when the heat
inside the car, helped by the black interior, becomes intolerable.

Not that I am totally with top on. I have my 74 Toyota Landcruiser with
softtop. It brings its own pleasurable ride in a completely different style
than a LBC. More like a tank, it goes almost anywhere so long as its
insatiable taste for petrol is satified. And I can even fold the windshield
down during those slow, rugged four wheel drive expeditions.

But its top does not come off or on so easily. Nor does the top and frame
fold compactly for convenient transport. But now that I actually have a
garage (three stalls no less), I just leave the top off during the whole
summer. Unfortunately, its not summer yet here in Montana - lots of rain and
cool temperatures (50-60 F), but those warm and dry summer days are getting
closer. That is part of my top is still on lament.

But there is more. Just reading posts on this list, I realize what I am
missing. The convenient and impromptu topless cruise (granted too that my
favorite drive and perhaps one of the greatest MG cruises in the USA is
still snowed in until at least mid-June. I refer to the Beartooth Highway,
just an hour away).
I must also say that I feel deprived when I see many of you have more than
one MG. So now I crave another MG, something in the sixties vintage, perhaps
a C.

However, my wife, who does not fully understand the MG experience, has this
belief that when a man gets older, he wants to buy a slick convertible to
impress and hustle young women. Its part of this midlife crisis belief. So
now that I am thinking C, she thinks I have ulterior motives. Now you see my
dilemma.

My questions:

1. How does one convince their wife of the true MG experience?
(My wife already thinks I spend too much on the car, but in reality it is
incredible cheap. Its paid for and I doubt I average more than $200/year in
parts).

2. Are women really attracted to cool British cars like MGs?
(It didn't work in college - but then my 65B had quite a bit of rust, it was
noisy, and seldom had the top on).

3. Anyone have leads on a good C or even an early 60s B (with the cool dash,
toggle switches, and numbered gauges)?
(Unfortunately, I am not quite wealthy enough to buy one yet. But I hope
that later this year I will have enough money to get something low on rust).

David Councill
dcouncil@imt.net
http://www.imt.net/~dcouncil/home.html