Update Re: TRUNNION! TRUNNION! TRUNNION!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Update Re: TRUNNION! TRUNNION! TRUNNION!
From: Kevin Sullivan <kevins@borris.khoros.unm.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 08:00:09 -0600 (MDT)
Thanks to everyone who offered advice re. my clunking problem.  Yesterday
I finally found time to jack up the front end and knock the wheels off.
Left side had a little play but brake calipers were tight.  I pulled out
the 35 year old split pins and got another flat or two on most of the big
nuts on that side.  Much better.  Go to the right side.  Upper kingpin
type thing is _loose_.  Tighten everything on this side.  Top trunnion
still has perceptable wear because the bolt's tight and I can still feel
it move a little bit.  Grease up and put the wheels back on _tight_.
Spokes probably should have more tension, but I doubt they'd budge.  I may
try later.  Test drive.  It feels _solid_.  Excellent!  I was thinking I
might have to replace the wheels and kingpins and who knows what else and
I'm getting off with twenty minutes of easy labor.  Cool.  BTW I had
replaced the shot A arm bushings with urethane ones when I first got the
car, and you'll be glad to know I replaced the ancient split pins with
nice new ones.  Since I know someone will ask, I'll go ahead and say that
the urethane bushings _rule_.  No complaints.  Put 'em in with dish soap.
I know that I'll eventually have to replace the kingpins and probably the
wheels but for now I'm glad my car is happy and drives better.  Thanks
again to all for the helpful suggestions.

Kevin Sullivan -- 1960 MGA
Khoral Research Inc.
Albuquerque NM USA