Re: MGB Gas Tanks and Filler Neck problems ?

To: Glenn Franco <76644.2655@CompuServe.COM>
Subject: Re: MGB Gas Tanks and Filler Neck problems ?
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 11:05:54 -0400 (EDT)
On 23 May 1996, Glenn Franco wrote:

> My problem is that the orignal (leaking) tank filler connection comes straight
> out of the top of the tank at a 90 deg angle (perpendicular to the flat tank
> surface). The replacement (new tank) filler comes out of the top at an angle
>of
> 15-30 deg. (approx didn't measure).  The problem is that the old tank is no

Perhaps you will be forced to a solution similar to mine.  Bugeye Sprites
use a tank with a continuous steel filler from the cap to the tank, while
later spridgets have a short pipe on the tank, a short pipe on the body,
and a rubber connection.  Only the later tanks were available new.  I cut
the filler pipe off the old tank and welded it on the new tank.
While I was at it, I welded a drain plug in the new tank.

Important to do your welding *before* you put gas in the new tank, or you
may be blown into the next county.  A true case of "your mileage may vary."

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910