MGB Gas Tanks and Filler Neck problems ?

To: British Cars <british-cars@autox.team.net>, "MG's" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGB Gas Tanks and Filler Neck problems ?
From: Glenn Franco <76644.2655@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 23 May 96 22:06:07 EDT
Help!

I need some advice from those of you that have replaced the gas tank in a 76 or
early 77 MGB.

Noticed my tank leaking after I put it in storage this past winter and purchased
a new one from Special Intrest out of Road Island. The tank shipped is an NRP
0004. TRF, Moss show a unique part number for the 76 and 77 models. All of them
no longer have this tank available. It carries a unique part number and NRP 0004
is the current fix all tank (from all the vendors including Vic Brit etc).

My problem is that the orignal (leaking) tank filler connection comes straight
out of the top of the tank at a 90 deg angle (perpendicular to the flat tank
surface). The replacement (new tank) filler comes out of the top at an angle of
15-30 deg. (approx didn't measure).  The problem is that the old tank is no
longer available and originaly came with a straight filler neck. The new one
demands the old style (I assume) that is curved. These are no longer available.
Mine has the straight neck and the hose is curved.

Besides looking for a good used curved filler neck, does anyone have any
suggestions or ran into this before?

Thanks in advance

Glenn Franco

email at 76644.2655@compuserve.com or GAF3@infoctr.chrysler.com

1971 TR6 (done, but still working on it)
1974 TR6 (hunting for performance parts like a limited slip)
1976 MGB (done, but still working on it)
1985 Jeep Scrambler (frame off fiberglass body restoration/almost done)