Steering column refurbish

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Steering column refurbish
From: Glenn Schnittke <glenns@edge.ercnet.com>
Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 10:29:48 -0500 (CDT)
There's some good news and some bad news here. Yes, any of the columns can
be refurbished and no, not all of them are intended to be.

The EARLY columns (pre-collapsable) are built so as to be able to simply
replace the felt bushes and from what I gather it's a pain, but doable. The
collapsable columns are made to be replaced entirely at a cost of about
$275.00US. If replacement is an option, be aware that the later (rubbercar)
columns are a different length than the earlier collapsable ones. Don't know
why, but when they made the change they increased the length of the pinion
shaft and decreased the length of the column. But the construction is
basically the same otherwise.

Once you get the column out and the wheel and swtch assembly off, you'll
find a Jesus clip on either end. The wheel end clip is set pretty deeply, so
you may have trouble. I had to buy a cheap pair of Jesus pliers and bend
them to suit. Once they're off, you have to deal with the collapsable part.
The column itsef is actually two pieces, the rack end fitting iside the
wheel end. The rack end has a nylon strip embedded to keep it snug inside
the wheel end. You may have to trash this but it fits back in when done. You
just have to be more careful handling the entire unit when it's all back
together since the end can slide out and make you wish you had another beer
in the fridge.

What keeps the column snug and able to turn easily inside the outer casing
is a pair of bizarre bearings on either end. I don't expect you'll be able
to find these at your local bearing supplier. Tiny, tiny balls and one of
them has a fiber ring holding the balls in that's only fun to play with if
you repair fine Swiss watches in your spare time. But, again, it's doable.

I know somewhere around here I've got the entire procedure written up but
I'll be damned if I can find it. I'd like to because I'm about to do it
again. If found, I'll post it. It's much more descriptive, as I wrote it
right after I did it the first time, and it's been a year or so.

Glenn
Schmaltzando = A glissando with grease. Preferably chicken.

Glenn Schnittke                    Recovering Musician
Nashville TN                       615-385-2800
glenns@edge.ercnet.com             72147.3635@compuserve.com

'74 MGB - fatally wounded
'69 MGB - prim little touring car