Re: Weight till you hear this

To: Jack Baker <baker@mail.islandnet.com>
Subject: Re: Weight till you hear this
From: Barry Berg <barry.berg@nwa.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 17:40:18 -0700
Jack Baker wrote:
> ... [clip] ...
> our cars. The rubber bumper Roadster came in at 150LBs heavier than the
> chrome GT and 340 lbs heavier than the chrome rdster. The only
> difference to the rubber MGB was the addition of a roll bar.

Not surprising....
The MG is an excellent example of a retro car.  In the US (and I
think all North American versions) the 1962 version weighed 2000 Lbs
and had a 103Bhp engine.  Rather than re-engineer the car, when
polution control and federal crash regs came into effect, they just
added on.  Net effect is in 1980 the last one off the line at
the MG Works weighed about 3500 lbs and sported a whomping
68 Bhp.  If you can remove the polution control crap from the
engine, (Not that anyone would want to ya know....) you can get
a lot of horsepower out of that little 4 banger....
reducing the weight is a little harder......

TTFN,
==barry
--
When your car is in the air, the accelerator doesn't work!
The brakes don't work!  The steering doesn't work!...Nothing works!!!