RE: MGA spark coil location

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MGA spark coil location
From: "Unger, Larry @ MAN" <UNGERL@Reston.UnisysGSG.COM>
Date: Tue, 28 May 96 21:01:00 EDT
>My take is that it could be a spark problem.  The coil is mounted
>directly on the dynamo, and right behind the radiator.  The coil is
>original.  The coil was extremely hot.  I am given to understand that
>on later models the coil placement was moved.

On the 1600 and 1600 MkII the coil was mounted with  a bracket on
the right-hand front engine mount ... on the Twin Cam it was mounted
on the left-hand of the engine compartment (behind the heater hose)
... on all other models (including the 1600 and 1600 MkII Deluxe) it was
mounted on directly on the dynamo with a clamp bracket.

>Any wisdom on this?  I've ordered up a new coil, and am thinking
>about mounting it on the fender well, if that is where it was moved to
in
>the later models.  I'd appreciate confirmation of this notion.

I don't have a clue as to why the coil was relocated on the 1600 and
1600 MkII  ... will ask the folks at the local NAMGAR meeting tomorrow
eve if they have any idea ... the new location 'stuffs' it  between the
inner wing panel and the dynamo ... not certain that this is really that
much on an improvement ...  perhaps it was done for the sake of
appearance?    Would guess that it was relocated on the Twin Cam
as a result of the dizzy location.

IMO, I don't think that it was location but age that caused the coil to
fail ...
it is 38 years old <g> ... when the original coil on my 1600 MkII failed
it displayed the same symptoms.

Larry Unger --> ungerl@reston.unisysgsg.com
'62 MGA