RE: Head advice....

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Head advice....
From: "Unger, Larry @ MAN" <UNGERL@Reston.UnisysGSG.COM>
Date: Tue, 28 May 96 23:35:00 EDT

>>The '72 head ... it has larger intake valves (from '72 to '74 the
>>heads were fitted with 1.6250" intake valves) and most of the
>>'gas flow' work required on the early head has already been
>>done (the 'Westlake promontory' between the valves has
>>been reduced.)
>
>Larry - I think it was '69 and '70 that was known as the big valve
>head. That agrees with Moss and the parts I just bought to re-do
>2 of them.

Ernest - You're right the Moss Catalog indicates that the 1.625"
intake valves were fitted to the 18GH engine ... but, believe it or not,
it is  in error <g> ... they were fitted to the 18V engines (commencing
in  Aug '71 for the 72 model year) until the introduction of the rubber-
bumper cars (Sept '74) when the North-American engines were once
again fitted with 1.563" intake valves.

Larry Unger
ungerl@reston.unisysgsg.com