Re: Wiring problems

To: Jean-Pierre Labuschagne <jpl@dbsa.org>
Subject: Re: Wiring problems
From: The Palmers <ThePalmers@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 22:18:19 GMT
At 06:22 PM 5/30/96 +0000, you wrote:
>Help I wish I had paid more attention to high school science. As you have
gathered I have a wiring problem. My right headlight (oh yeah MGA 1500 '57)
must be shorting somewhere it dimly glows only dimly no matter if its
brights or dim, I quickly checked the grounded it seemed OK. However when I
was driving flickers brighter and goes back to its pathetic glow. I have a
wiring diagram which makes it look so easy but as hinted my knowledge of
electric's is patchy.

>The hooter/horn also isn't working, its amazing that one discovers these
things when you need them like at night and when some idiot pulls out in
front of you. Vigorous had gestures don't always convey the emotion and
rapid heart beat one feels at times like that.

>Basically where should I look for both, also my speedo panel light glows
when I'm stationary but stops when I move and my brights indicator light
glows when the lights are on dim.

>All help appreciated, thanks
>Attachment Converted: C:\WORLDNET\EUDORA\Wiringpr

The first step is to be sure you have proper voltage to both units. With the
lights on, measure the voltage on the hot lead to the light. It should be
around 12-14 volts, if not the problem is further back toward the lighting
switch. The same goes for the horn. If you don't have a voltmeter, a simple
test light from any auto parts store will do. You'll simply have to judge
the brightness of the test light versus reading the voltage on the meter.

In general, most of these problems can be traced to dirt or corrosion. Check
the bullet connectors where they attach to the light/horn. Also, check the
bullet connectors in the wiring harness. The MGA uses a separate harness for
the headlights which attaches underneath the front fenders somewhere. Make
sure the connectors are bright and shiny, not loose, rusty, or corroded.

Regarding the horn: assuming the wiring and supply voltage check out OK, try
cleaning the points of the horn. Since the MGA's horn is underneath the car,
it is often subject to a lot of crud getting inside. Locate the horn, note
the single screw holding the domed cover on. Remove the screw anbd the
cover. You should find a set of points (electrical contacts which look like
distributor points). With the ingnition switch off, lightly clean these with
some fine sandpaper. In 99% of the cases, this solves the problem.

Good luck,
Lew Palmer