Re: mysterious electrical problem in my MGB

To: The Warped Goat <dedwards@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Subject: Re: mysterious electrical problem in my MGB
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 01:01:39 -0500 (EST)
>Hello again,
>     I decided this afternoon to take my dual 6-volts out from the car to clean
>-them and fix the nasty corrosion from the leaking battery acid.  It looked
>ugly, but the car works fine.  All electrics worked fine (and it's Lucas too!)
>up to now and the charging system is great.
>-    After cleaning them, I replaced them and tried to drive to work.  No juice
>whatsoever.  No fuel pump tick, no lights, no ignition warning light.  With the
>multitester, I checked to ensure the battery cables were making contact.  Fine
>there.  Then I found a drain on the order of 8 milliamps when the batteries
>were all connected.  To try to find it, I took out all the fuses, and it was
>still there.  Then I unplugged the alternator.  Still there.  Then the fuel
>pump disconnected.  Still there.  Then the starter.  Still there.
>     What's going on here?  Am I insane or is something really broken this
>time?  Even with the small drain, is that the cause of the lack of battery
>power.  I forgot to mention that the batteries yield 6 volts apiece.  With the
>batts fully charged, shouldn't the lights at least come on, if somewhat dim?
>
>Quite fogged,
>
>Benjy.
>

>benj@proxima.cc.colorado.edu                 1968 MGB MkII
>b_edwards@rikki.cc.colorado.edu              1992 Trek 2300 Dura-Ace STI
>bedwards@goedel.cc.colorado.edu              1992 Rocky Mountain Hammer

I wouldn't be too concerned about an 8 milliamp drain. The radio and
computers on the new cars drain at least that much with the ignition
off. As for the lack of voltage, make sure the two 6v batteries are
connected in series properly. If one of the batteries is hooked up
backwards you get zero volts instead of 12. If you try to charge it
this way the backwards battery will be reversed charged which is
bad news.

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
rdonahue@holli.com
1953 MG-TD under restoration