Re: Threshold Plates

To: mgtd51@shore.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Threshold Plates
From: DGeis@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 00:36:15 -0400
Larry Swift Asked:

<I need to install new threshold plates for a 51TD.  Could someone help me
<with the following:

<How were the plates originally installed? Nails? Screws? If screws were they
<regular slot or phillips head?

<How many screws/nails were used?

<Where were they placed?

<Thanks

<Larry Swift

The threshold plates were installed with #4 X 1/2" chrome plated, pan-head,
regular slot wood screws.

Seven screws were used;  two at each end and three in the middle.  See crude
diagram below.

                                                                         ____
______________________________________ ___/  1/4"
|  x                                                                     x
|_______
|                  x                    x                   x              |
<-----Threshold plate
|  x                                                                     x |
  23 1/2" long, 1 1/8" wide +-
|______________________________________|

|  |                |                    |                    |             |
 |         NOTE:  small x's are
|  \               |                    |                    |            |
  |                    the screws
|   \              |                    |                    |            |

|     \            |                    |                    |           |

|1/2"| 5 1/4"|        6"         |         6"       | 5 1/4"|1/2"|

After struggling through that drawing I realize that even someone that has
read engineering drawings for thirty years might have a little trouble
deciphering it.  Therefore, what it says is that the two screws at each end
are 1/2" from the ends of the plate and 1/4" in from the sides of the plate.
 The three middle screws are on the center line of the plate; the middle one
is in the center of the plate and the other two are each 6" away from the
center one.  (Why didn't I just say that in the first place and save a half
hour of trying to make a drawing?)

By the way, the early TC plates had lettering on them that is on the Moss
Motors reproductions.  This lettering does _not_ appear on the TD treshold
plates.  If you buy these you should install them with the lettering on the
under side if you are after great accuracy.

Hope this will answer your questions.

Dave G.