Re:slick 50

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:slick 50
From: "J. Knight" <taoistjd@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 96 00:37:00 -0400
Sent:        6/2/96 11:15 PM
To:          MG, mgs@autox.team.net

Bruce Wrote:
>Got a buddy who just bought a 67 'B and wants to put Slick 50 in when he
>changes the oil.
>I've seen the ads for this stuff. What do you think? Yea or Nea?
NEA!  for several reasons...

I spent several years working for a multi-state parts chain and this was
a big discussion.  We reviewed independent testing, done by various
firms, on Slick 50 and the other such products.  It shows that they are a
waste of time and money.

>1. Does it work ?
Yes,  I have heard first person testimonies that it does give some people
better gas mileage... These same people don't like to change their oil.
The most recent oil change for these three people was 12,000 miles, and
then it was usually only the oil.  Go figure! :)

Teflon IS used in high performance race motors so you should buy our
product, so they say.  The only thing they neglect to tell you is that
for "indy" motors and lawn mower motors the Teflon is baked onto the
block just after it is casted.  For the Teflon to do this in your engine
in itself would be a feat.
First, it has to make it through the oil filter. Have your friend pour
his next bottle of slick 50 through a coffee filter and catch the oil
afterwards.  Take a look at the oil.  It used to be a straight 30 weight,
they may have gone to a multi weight but it still probable is without
detergents.  After it seeps through he will see all of his precious
Teflon still in the filter.  But, we can suppose that the Teflon does
make it through the bypass valve in the oil filter or the pressure relief
in the pump and back to the rest of the motor and does stick to all of
the parts,(because the engine baked it on).  It then defeats the purpose
of our oil, which needs to cling to the block and other moving parts in
order to COOL as well as lubricate the motor.  If it cannot stick, it
cannot do its job.

With all of this taken into consideration it was asked of corporate
office why we carried such a product and what we should tell the customer
about it.  Their responses were simple; "because the public wants it,"
and "tell them 'a lot of people swear by it'".

One last problem with "Slick 50" products... If you ever have internal
engine trouble with your car, the big three will void your warranty if
they test for the presence of Teflon and find it.

John Knight