Re: Voltmeter/Ampmeter

To: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Subject: Re: Voltmeter/Ampmeter
From: jello@dns.ida.net (Phil Bates)
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 18:37:59 -0600
>Phil Bates writes:

>>have a 67 B, and have installed a voltmeter and ammeter because I have had
>>problems in the past.  It is a very nice set-up to have.  With the voltmeter
>>you see how much charge your battery is holding, and this can be important
>>with earlier cars that can have a regulator stuck open or stuck closed.
>
>Phil and others:
>
>I've contemplated the same additions.  Where on the dash did you install
>these gauges?  Where did you purchase the gauges you installed?  I suppose
>you put them where the radio speaker should/would be?  Did you buy
>Smiths/jaeger gauges to maintain "cosmetic consistency???"

You are correct on many counts sir!  I removed the radio speaker.  I cut a
rectangular piece of stainless steel to fit the entire flat surface (rounded
corners and all).  Cut a piece of 3/8" plywood for the backing.  Then
drilled out 4 holes in MG TD - like position:  two at the bottom close
together, two above them further apart (like a smiley face).  These took a
big hole saw, and were not easy to drill in stainless steel.  Then I drilled
two smaller holes in the lower corners for a hazard light and a cigarette
lighter plug (no, I don't smoke).  Then painted the stainless with primer,
and wrinkle finish paint.  It almost looks original!  The gauges are all
Smiths, and I got them from Noisinger's (in NY).  I have a voltmeter,
ammeter, clock, and a vacuum gauge (on manifold vacuum with the overdrive
vacuum switch).  I know it sounds cluttered, but it looks pretty classy.  I
had some empty space in the upper center of the area, so I put a MG emblem
from a 70's MGB grille in there.  It is a nice touch.

Next project was mounting speakers under the dash without harming the
integrety of the area there.  Did it with only drilling 3 small sheet metal
screw holes, and making my own speaker boxes and keyhole mounting system.
Now I can see the gauges, and hear the stereo even while driving on the highway.

The wiring for this kind of stuff is really the pain, I melted two wires
installing the ammeter.  Not a difficult job, but it really has to be done
correctly, and with WELL INSULATED TERMINALS.

Phil Bates
67 MGB
75 Jaguar XJ12C
52 MG TD replicar (VW)