RE: Replacing Door Glass Rubber Seal, and GT Update

To: "'Ross MacPherson'" <arm@unix.infoserve.net>,
Subject: RE: Replacing Door Glass Rubber Seal, and GT Update
From: "David M. Hall" <dhall@hp-vcd.vcd.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 07:45:33 +0100
Ross MacPherson wrote:

> >Now for the experimental part:  I got some 6mil thick sheet plastic,
> >and glued that to the floor, and up the sides and over the sills(?).
> Should prevent ANY
> >water from ever getting to the floor!  (Well, we'll see.)  Then, I got some
> padding from
> >a local car upholstry shop and glued that down to cut down on noise and
>heat.
> >
> .....snip.....
>
> I'm no expert Dave, but I was with you right up to this point.  I've NEVER
> seen plastic do as a good a job keeping water out as it does keeping
> moisture IN.  Condensation will inevitably form under the plastic, even if
> you live in Arizona, and will sit beneath the plastic and start to do what
> condensation does.   If it were me ( and it soon will be!) I'd back up one
> step and pull the plastic out.  Everything else sounds like a good plan.

Doh!  You have quite the point there.  I was remembering back to when I
bought the car, and it had many leaks.  These leaks soaked the carpet, and
thus it was the carpet which was holding the water next to the floorboards.
Well, now the leaks are fixed.  So why do I need the plastic now?  (He asks
himself...)  Hmmmmmm..  (He contemplates pulling up all of that padding, and
half of the carpet....)

Dave "Hmmmmmm..." Hall

dhall@vcd.hp.com