Diff thrust washer replacement question

To: mgs@autox.team.net (MG's)
Subject: Diff thrust washer replacement question
From: Jeremy DuBois <jer@thlogic.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 08:12:59 -0400 (EDT)
  Hi all,

        I replaced the four thrust washers in my B's diff last night, which
wasn't a particularly hard job.  Toughest part was getting the one pinion gear
to stay in place as you tried to replace the other one directly opposite it.

        Anyway, I replaced them all, put the diff back together, replaced
one of the half-shafts and tried turning various parts.  When I turn the
diff from the driveshaft input at the front, everything turns just fine,
including the half-shaft.  When I turn the end of the half-shaft, it turns
fine and doesn't turn the driveshaft input but makes a slight
click,click,click sound as it turns.  Is this normal, or have I screwed
something up?  There currently isn't any oil in the diff.  If I put oil in,
will the sound go away? I would assume I screwed something up, except there
were so few parts involved, I don't quite see what I could have done wrong.

        On a related note, why is it that I can't find any 90 weight gear
oil anywhere in large quantities?  It's always in tiny little tubes, and
usually labelled "for marine engine use".  Am I looking at the wrong stuff?
Is it inadvisable to use 85W90 gear oil in the diff, which I can find in
good quantity?

                Thanks in advance,
                                        Jeremy DuBois
                                        Programmer/System Administrator