Re: MGB Cruise Control

To: DamitDick@gnn.com, jtilton@vt.edu
Subject: Re: MGB Cruise Control
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrco.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 08:12:25 -0400

> Damit Dick wrote:
> >I'd like to know more about your cruise control. Did you install it
> >yourself or was it already installed when you bought the car? Do
> >you know where one might find a cruise control unit for an MGB?
> >I'm departing for Indianapolis shortly with my MGB and it would be
> >great to have cruise control!
>
> I posed that question to the SOL list long ago, though I didn't pursue it.
> The replies I got led me to belive most any off-the-shelf aftermarket CC
> setup would work.
>
> All it needs is a source of vacuum (maybe a separate pump; don't know if
> manifold vacuum with its intrinsic vagaries would suffice) to operate a
> servo linked to the throttle (the servo mounting bracket may require a
> little fabrication), a speed sensor (probably hitched up like the
> electronic tach--it doesn't need to know exact numbers, just 'too fast'
> or 'too slow'), a place to mount the 'brains,' and a place inside the
> cockpit to mount the switches.  Badaboom badabing, and off you go.
> --

Some after market Cruise Controls work off of car speed (sensor on
propeller shaft) and some off of engine speed (distributor pulses). If
you have an automatic transmission the car speed one is a better
choice. Either is good for the manual transmission. I think the engine
speed one's are less hassle to hook up and when you depress the clutch
while it is engaged the engine won't race to redline. FWIW I worked
with a guy who swore by his in is P/U truck with a manual transmis
sion.

- -Mark   = =o&o