pardon my ignorance...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: pardon my ignorance...
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 10:47:27 -0400
Fellow fiends:

I am catching up on the digests (I've been out of town) and read the posting
regarding fluctuating oil preasure and have grown confused.

--How can the gauge be reading 90lbs if the engine has a 60 lb oil preasure
relief valve?  Doesn't the valve open at 60 lbs and therefore establish an
maximum upper oil preasure at about 60 lbs?

While it is always better to have oil preasure than to not have it:

--why was the engine designed and built with a 60 lb oil preasure relief
valve if it can run happily and safely at 90 lbs?

--might not some high preasure gasket seals (head gasket) be stressed with
90 lbs of oil preasure?

--What are the chances the oil gauge is the problem?  Might not the fellow's
needle be loose and the indicated preasure is not the true preasure?  Or...
is the fellow's engine's relief valve not functioning properly?  Did you
install an "uprated" spring in the valve assy?

Or, am I completely missing the point (again)?

Will Zehring