Re: pardon my ignorance...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: pardon my ignorance...
From: wise@db.erau.edu (John A. Wise)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 15:37:42 -0800
  >...Raising pressure to 90 psi will not improve
  >lubrication or protection any, but it will use (a teeny tiny bit) more
  >power and then there is the danger of developing leaks...

When I was "fearless" fighter pilot, our maintenance folks told us the main
danger of higher oil pressure was that it increased the temperature of the
oil (i.e., the oil was being forced through small openings at higher
speeds) and thus lowered it viscosity.

As a matter of fact we lost an aircraft when the bypass valve on the
hydrolic system failed closed.  This heated the hydrolic fluid, which in
turn resulted in the jaming of the hydrolic actuators due to differential
expansion of the piston in the cylinder.

Given the high ambient temps here in Florida and because I do not have an
oil temp guage, I would worry a little about high oil pressure.

Any opinions on this hypothesis?

John

John A. Wise, Ph.D., CHFP                       Tel: (+1) (904) 226-6384
Center for Aviation/Aerospace Research          Fax: (+1) (904) 226-7050
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University            E-mail: wise@db.erau.edu
600 South Clyde Morris Blvd.
Daytona Beach, FL 32114-3900      USA