Re: Monza Exhaust System Installation - HELP

To: SCHLINING.M.W-@smtpgty.bwi.wec.com
Subject: Re: Monza Exhaust System Installation - HELP
From: Ragthyme@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 10:50:41 -0400
Marty:

Yep, been there, done that.

1) Front extension pipe doesn't fit properly:  From just forward of the
premuffler, cut the extension pipe a bit and, at any good muffler shop, have
them custom-cut you an extension piece to fit in this section with your
header. Cost me $18, as I recall, and fits perfectly. Solves all the length
problems.

2) Rear bracket isn't mated properly:  Best solution to this I could find was
to only very, very slightly change the shape of the saddle bracket on the
car, and instead of using the stock bushing-cum-studs that the standard
exhaust uses, get two hard rubber washers and two cut washers (local hardward
store, plumbing dept.) and use those as spacers instead. Doesn't interact
with the bumper atall, at least on Rags (also a 75B).

These two fixes worked out fine for me; the only glitch I can see to the
whole system is that I'm sitting directly above the premuffler in the car,
which makes the bum a bit toasty in the summertime (however, augments the
pitiful heater in the winter).

I also seem to recall from my installation that I had to fabricate the centre
hanger myself, rather than using the stock one. I used generic parts
available at any pep-boys or similar chain, and it worked fine.

I was a bit miffed that the installation was not, as advertised, 'bolt on and
go'. I do love the exhaust note, however, particularly when the second barrel
in the carburettor kicks in.

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'