Blow-By Question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Blow-By Question
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 23:24:41 -0500 (EST)
This is the MG-TD-back-on-the-road-again-after-25-years-storage guy. I
finally worked up enough courage to try the old TD on the highway. With that
5.125:1 gear ratio I only had enough nerve to take it up to 50mph/3570rpm.
The engine doesn't seem too willing to rev above 3000rpm but it seems to get
a little better each time I take it out. I've been driving with the bonnet
off and noticed that around 3400rpm a visible amount of smoke or vapor comes
from the breather pipe. I can see it (and smell it!) because the breather
pipe extention is missing. I understand this is called blow-by. Is this
actually exhaust gas
that got past the rings? Is it normal for this much to come out at high RPM?
What RPM should be considered red line for this car?

A little backgound:

        Compression is good
        Temp runs at 180 degrees
        Oil pressure runs 40psi at idle, 50 at speed

I was hoping to take her to MG Indy 96 (I only live 50 miles away). I've
heard that the TD can cruse at 60mph. Am I being too timid staying below 50?

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
rdonahue@holli.com
1953 MG-TD under restoration
1971 MGB